Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Posting this a few days after the fact but I fished my home tailwater this past Saturday and it was a madhouse. I got a late start and didn't arrive until about 10:30 a.m. Once I got down to the river and headed upstream to one of the areas I fish I discovered 6 folks fishing in about a 30 yd area. Two folks were on a guided trip and I overheard them say that they had caught/released 59 trout that morning.

I finally got some open space to fish and wound up sharing the hole with a very nice guy and his wife from Homewood, AL. I tried everything....nymphs, midges, EH caddis, black ant, etc. Nothing worked. After talking with my fellow fly fisherman, the trout seemed to be hitting a flashy green wooly bugger. I tried fishing what I had in my fly box, that had the most green flash (size 12), and fished it like a normal streamer. After about 15-20 minutes, and having only one hit, I decided to fish it nymph style under an indicator. I was slow drifting it with the current and I finally caught 6 trout in a 30 minute time span.

I wound up fishing close to 4 1/2 hours and caught 9. Most were in the 9" range but a couple were in the 11" range. A great way to end up what started out as a disheartening day.

I'm sorry for having no photos but I just didn't really have anything to take photos of on this trip. Perhaps this coming weekend will be a little better all the way around.

No comments:

Post a Comment